Terminally Ill Pet Parent
BEFORE YOU SURRENDER YOUR DOG
Consider All Your Options
In unforeseen, unfortunate circumstances, sometimes a pet parent might be terminally ill and it will become imperative to find a new home for their dog.
Be mindful that when you surrender a dog, the transition is a traumatic experience for the dog. Living in a new environment and leaving a family is very stressful for even the most well-adjusted dog, therefore do explore alternatives of trying to re-home the dog yourself first.
Surrendering a pet dog MUST always be the last option. VOSD provides this facility, only so that you do NOT abandon the dog. We are interested in the welfare and well-being of the dog.
Free Surrender: Terminally Ill Pet Parent
People living with chronic illnesses and those in hospice care worry about what will happen to their pets once they pass on. VOSD is here to help such pets find a loving home once their owners are no longer in a position to care for them due to their illness or when they pass.
There is no surrender fee for this. You or your family/friends will have to write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the nature of your illness and when you wish to send your pet dog to VOSD. We would need your medical reports to confirm your condition and your doctor’s reference. You can plan a safe future for your pet while going through medical exigency.
This service is also available for family and friends who need to find a new home for a loved one’s pet dog but are unable to do so as the pet may be old, sick, disabled, etc. VOSD is home to many such dogs who have found love and security after their owner passed away.
Please note that dogs once surrendered to VOSD live at VOSD for the rest of their natural lives. VOSD dogs are never put up for adoption. We do not provide any individual updates about surrendered dogs nor do we allow visits as per our surrender policy.
Surrender Your Dog to VOSD
If you have exhausted all other avenues, you can surrender your dog to the VOSD, SUBJECT TO our calling upon you to do so. For this you have to write to email@example.com with all details about the dog and reason why you wish to surrender the dog to VOSD.
- If we are persuaded that the circumstance warrants our intervention, and that you’re the owner of the dog and have shared accurate and verifiable information, we will accept any dog, without passing judgment on you.
- This policy is entirely on VOSD’s discretion and can be discontinued, withdrawn or modified at any time without notice.
- The decision of accepting or not accepting a dog rests solely with VOSD.
- Please note that there is NO SURRENDER FEE for this process.
If because of your circumstances, you have decided not to keep your pet dog, you can surrender your dog to VOSD. HOWEVER, you cannot simply bring the dog to us. Please follow the process of surrendering your dog to VOSD.
SURRENDER PROCESS EXPLAINED
- Once you get approval to surrender a dog to VOSD, you need to send us the vaccination and medical certificates as mentioned on the surrender link that will be shared with you.
(1) A vet certificate on the dog’s age
(2) Dog’s present condition
(3) Diagnosis and prescription of medicines, if any
(4) A photograph of the dog
(5) We will receive the dog from you on verification that the dog is tick and flea free (since the dog will come to boarding/halfway home first)
(6) Has had their DLHPPi + Rabies shots.
- Then our team will connect you with our boarding partner in Bangalore to drop the dog. You will have to bear the transport cost as we do not provide transportation.
- VOSD will pay the boarding fees till we pick up the dog from the boarding center.
- After we pick up the dog from the boarding partner center, our team will send you an update when the dog reaches VOSD. That is the only update we share about surrendered dogs and close the surrender ticket.
- We do not allow visits for surrendered dogs nor do we provide any individual updates about the surrendered dog. This is our standard surrender policy.
- If you do not agree with our surrender policy, kindly do not approach us to surrender the dog.
- Please note that we don’t admit unvaccinated dogs at VOSD.
NOTE: If you choose to surrender a dog to the VOSD Sanctuary and Hospital, please remember that this is still as per the terms of the VOSD Standard Operating Procedure on visitation, which means no individual updates are provided for surrendered dogs neither are visits allowed.