What is VOSD?
VOSD, is a home for dogs who have no home and no hope.
VOSD is the World’s Largest ecosystem of No-Kill Rescue, Rehabilitation and lifelong care for dogs, and the services that support it. We call this – the VOSD Sanctuary & Hospital. VOSD is located near Bangalore, India, and hundreds of rescued dogs live out their lives here without ever worrying about food, shelter and care. These dogs have been brought in from 30+ cities in India, via road, train and flight.
VOSD is a registered 12A / 80G Trust that started in 2013, that supports dogs across India.
The VOSD Sanctuary & Hospital is not a ‘shelter’. We do not give up our dogs for adoption. Dogs at VOSD stay here for life, this is a place where each dog has a name and every dog is at home.
The VOSD Dog Sanctuary & Hospital
Each year 200-250 dogs join our VOSD family. These are dogs who have been formerly blinded with acid, run over and paralysed, sexually assaulted, slashed with knives or tied to train tracks to die. Dogs not just from Bangalore but from Pune, Mumbai, Delhi, Chandigarh, Lucknow, Chennai, Trivandrum, Indore, Coimbatore, Kolkata, Trivandrum, Cochin and many other cities come to live out their lives at VOSD.
Dogs who come here are never kept in chains or isolated. They have access to their own hospital, a fleet of ambulances, 24×7 water and power supply (even though we’re in a remote location). The dogs here also have agility parks and a jet-powered hydrotherapy pool. 600+ trees provide shade here, in what was earlier- barren land.
All dogs are free within their 50+ enclosures in a 3.5-acre area. Each enclosure has an enclosed ‘indoor’ as well as an open area, lined with trees. The enclosures have heaters during the winter; and individual water bodies for the dogs to jump into and cool off, in summers.
This is the home of not just India’s most ‘unadoptable’ dogs, but also of ‘Patriot Dogs’ – India’s Service Dogs who have been retired from the Karnataka Police, Reserve Police, Railway Police, Kerala Police and the Indian Army.
VOSD has always been innovating to expand our outreach and help as many dogs – stray & pet dogs, as we possibly can.
- We created the World’s First mobile app for Stray Dog Rescue.
- World’s First Custom CRM for Rescue and Treatments that track dogs, vehicles and personnel through all stages from pickup – admittance – diagnostics – individual treatment – discharge/release. This custom CRM also cross-referenced and tagged GPS locations, time and individual procedure data to create detailed reports. It also provided near real-time updates of each treatment to the dog’s reporter via App, SMS & Email. This entire system was made available to any NGO that wanted to use it free of cost.
- VOSD created India’s 1st Blood Bank for Rescued / Stray & Pet dogs.
- World’s First Remote Medical Assistance Service for dogs – includes reading diagnostics remotely and recommending a specific treatment.
- India’s First Hospice for Old Dogs – available for any referred old street dog.
From inception through 2015, VOSD was solely privately funded by VOSD Founder Rakesh Shukla, with an initial budget of over $2 million / INR 15 crores.
2015 onwards, VOSD started creating a string of product and entertainment brands to support VOSD. These include:
- VOSD Dog Care: India’s most loved, non-prescription products from VOSD.
- Art for Dogs: Buy paintings or photo-prints donated to us by India’s leading artists.
- Barking Mad: India’s best stand-ups, stand up for VOSD’s dogs!
From 2019, VOSD’s footprint and outreach started adding donors across India and the world. Since then, over 20,000 individuals have supported the growing VOSD ecosystem and helped care for our 900+ dogs.
We don’t have a helpline number nor do we provide Emergency Rescue Services for dogs. We are only available through our website, app or email.
Please send us your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org